History & Culture
Into Hacienda Los Lingues ® is like stepping back in time. This is not just a typical Chilean country house, but a living example of what was the testimony colonial times. Everything remains as it was then: the buildings are made of mud and straw; the walls are painted red and each colonial remodeling makes historians to preserve the original architecture.
Trees adorn the courtyards and parks. Between boldos, quillayes, the acacia, eucalyptus, oaks grow lingues ® and birds typical of the area, such as ducks, quail, pigeons, foxes, blades, etc..
The origins of the Hacienda back in the late sixteenth century. At that time he moved to the Valley of Santiago, Don Melchor Jufré Eagle, Extremadura gentleman, son of a Knight of the Military Order of Santiago, who served as mayor of the capital in 1599. As writer and chronicler of success, won prestige in Santiago society and was graced by the King of Spain to stay in Angostura, located in the Central Valley.
Which was then called "Hacienda Los Lingues ®" is inherited years later by his daughter Doña Ana María del Águila, wife of the Governor of Chile, Don Diego González Montero (1662-1670). Both are ancestors of the hero of the independence of Chile, Don José Gregorio Montero Argomedo and Eagle, who was born there in 1767. Since been continuously Los Lingues belonged to his descendants, generation after generation. In this way it has managed to stay more than four centuries in the same family.
The current owner of The Lingues ®, Mr. Germán Claro Lira, has restored the old houses of the Treasury, both its exterior architecture and interior decoration, presenting as they were at the time of its original construction. In this task, has been advised by architects and historians who have guided their purpose, respecting the characteristics that had the country house of the Central Valley in the Spanish colonial period, while, being faithful to the transformations experienced following Independence.
Has been achieved thus exhibit a living testimony of the past, which allows a better understanding in this historical reality of what was a typical Chilean agricultural property.
His manor houses, for example, were built between 1690 and 1700 by the family Argomedo. The house holds a succession of surprises. Some doors were manufactured by the famous "Bavarian Jesuits Calera de Tango," which works are preserved in the Palacio de la Moneda and the Cathedral of Santiago.
The basement, with thick walls of "masonry"-the same material that was used for the legendary bridge over the Mapocho River-is transformed into huge eaters winter, able to accommodate hundreds of guests.
The manor houses occupy more than five thousand square meters. Much of his stuff still preserved: ornaments, fine silverware, glassware, tables, lamps. Every object has a story: some belonged to famous people of Chilean life as Mateo de Toro y Zambrano, Conde de la Conquista, who chaired the First Government; Gaspar's memories of Marin; José Gregorio Argomedo; Ramón Freire and José Victorino Aubrey, among others. Florentino Christ one seventeenth century, made in ivory stands 72 cm. high, which belonged to Pope Pius IX, who is now in the Chapel of the Hacienda.